The primary aims of the BlockHunt project are:
1. To revive a sense of spatial awareness and curiosity in an often sensorily overwhelming urban setting.
2. To introduce new people to the fascinating world of blockchain and cryptocurrency.
3. lolz 🤑
Methods & Gameplay:
- Crypto and fiat currency donations will be raised via crowdfunding and social media campaigns, and held in a central bitcoin wallet.
- Somewhere between 5 to 10 separate bitcoin wallets will be created and the donated funds from the central wallet will be equally divided between those wallet addresses. These are the wallets and addresses that will actually be used in the game, or BlockHunt.
- For each bitcoin wallet used in the game, 10 durable vinyl stickers will be produced to display a QR code and text. Each of these 10 stickers will contain that bitcoin wallet’s address plus one of 10 segments of its private key and a link to the BlockHunt website.
- A portion of the stickers to be used in the game will be divided and distributed to volunteers around the city. To ensure fair and widespread distribution 10 copies of each sticker containing a private key segment will be produced.
- The BlockHunt organizers and volunteers will be responsible for spreading and applying these stickers in public spaces around different areas of Bangkok. (i.e. shop fronts, street signs, buses, trains, public restrooms, bars, nightclubs, art galleries, etc.)
- To play the game, participants will need to search the city for all 10 stickers belonging to a specific bitcoin wallet. If a player finds all 10 stickers of a wallet, they can combine the segments of that wallet's private key and claim the funds in that wallet by transferring them to a newly generated bitcoin address.
- July 2018:
- Design and launch the official BlockHunt.net website containing the BlockHunt FAQ, instructions on how to play, informational resources to bitcoin and blockchain, translations, etc.
- Begin the project’s crowdfunding campaign and start accepting donations to a central bitcoin address.
- Start promotion of the project via social media.
- Begin recruiting volunteers to help distribute stickers
- August 2018:
- Determine number of wallets and stickers to be created.
- Continue recruiting volunteers and accepting donations
- Print the physical stickers to be used in the game and list the wallet addresses on the website.
- September 2018:
- Distribute wallet stickers to volunteers around the city.
- BlockHunt team and volunteers begin the widespread application of stickers.
- Let the games begin!
Can anyone play the game or volunteer to spread stickers around?
- Absolutely. The game is open to anyone and everyone. No registration is necessary to play. Anyone can volunteer to distribute stickers; however, we will only be accepting volunteers based in Bangkok.
How many individual wallets and stickers will be used in the game?
- Each bitcoin wallet’s address used in the game Will be printed on 10 stickers that each contain one segment of that address’s private key. Ten copies of those stickers will be made and distributed throughout the city. For example, if bitcoin donations are divided between 10 wallets used in the game, 1000 stickers in total would be spread around the city:
10 stickers containing private key segments x 10 copies of each sticker =
100 stickers per wallet x 10 separate wallets =
1000 total stickers used in the game)
What happens if no one finds all the stickers and private key segments of a wallet used in the game?
- Presumably the bitcoin funds held in that wallet will be lost forever. After the wallets and stickers used in the BlockHunt project are created and distributed, the organizers will be deleting all records of the private keys used in the game and the only way to access funds held the in a wallet will be via public discovery of stickers.
How will the stickers in the game be distributed?
- At the time of writing, the plan is for 60%-90% of the stickers used in the game to be divided and distributed to anonymous volunteers in Bangkok. Volunteers will be recruited via BlockHunt.net and before the game begins, small sets of stickers will be mailed or delivered to the volunteers’ locations. The remaining sticker sets will be spread and applied throughout the city solely by the BlockHunt project’s team members. We will be analyzing and mapping our volunteers’ locations before mailing sticker sets in order to ensure the most widespread distribution of each set. To ensure the fairness and longevity of the game, no complete sticker sets (i.e. stickers containing all private key segments of an address) will be mailed to individual volunteers.
Where will the stickers be distributed?
- It will be the responsibility of the recruited volunteers and the BlockHunt team to spread the stickers used in the game as widely as possible in publicly visible locations throughout the city. This involves spots like bus stops, trains, street signs, public restrooms, nightclubs, libraries, art galleries, phone booths, gogo bars, schools, jukeboxes, etc.
How long will donations be accepted and divided between wallets?
- At the time of writing, the plan is to continue to accept donations into the central wallet’s address for up to one year after the project starts. At the beginning of every month, donations that have been received into the central wallet will be divided and transferred to the remaining wallets used in the game.
What should someone to do if they find all stickers containing segments of a private key used by a wallet in the BlockHunt?
- They should immediately combine the private key segments of that wallet’s bitcoin address and transfer or “sweep” the funds held in that wallet to another bitcoin wallet that they have generated themselves. This will allow that person to claim the funds and safely store them at a bitcoin address that no one else will have access to. Free and reliable software that can sweep funds from combined private keys to a newly generated bitcoin wallet is readily available online. After funds have been transferred from a wallet address being used in the game, that wallet and sticker set will be be marked as “found” on the BlockHunt website and no further donations will be transferred to that wallet’s address.
How will donations be divided between wallets in the game?
- After the initial round of crowdfunding, bitcoin and fiat donations that have been received will be equally divided and transferred to the wallet addresses being used in the game (i.e. the bitcoin addresses that appear on the stickers). Donations will continue to be accepted, and on the first of every month the donated funds will be equally divided and transferred to the remaining wallets in the game that have not yet been discovered or claimed by anyone.
Who is organizing the BlockHunt project?
- Due to the questionable legality of this project and the fact that it's just fun to be all mysterious, the BlockHunt team wishes to remain anonymous. ;-)